The Narrenturm (Fool’s Tower) c. 1992. The asylum was built during the reign of Joseph II (1764-1790). It opened in April 1784. When the asylum closed in 1869, it was converted into a hospital archive and home for nurses. In 1971, the University Institute of Pathology and Anatomy moved its collection into the first floor of the tower, and in 1993 the University acquired the entire building for its growing number of specimens.